Home Places to visit

Querétaro is rich in history, we invite you to visit some of the places that let you travel to the past, some suggestions are: 


Parade Ground: is the heart of the city of Queretaro, a place for meetings, entertaining and restless, which is surrounded by splendid buildings of colonial architecture such as the Palace of Government, and cozy restaurants and cafes, where there is always a reason to start a fun conversation. Until the seventeenth century, this area of the city was a flea market, indigenous or fair in which not only bought and sold, but also networks, products-but a fire was "ashes" this custom. It took many decades, the place became a public square, which occurred in 1886. In the current center of the square stands the statue of the Marquis de la Villa del Villar del Águila, responsible for the construction of the aqueducts of the city of Queretaro symbols. 


Aqueduct: culvert is a monumental nine kilometers long and 74 arches of 23 feet. It was built between 1726 and 1735 to supply water to the city. The work was funded by Antonio Urrutia and Arana, Marques de la Villa del Villar del Aguila, considered the benefactor of Queretaro. Three years later, would extensions to provide water to 10 public and 60 private sources, including that of the Plaza Mayor. For his majesty, this remarkable public works has become the symbol of Querétaro. It can be seen fully from the Calzada de los Arcos, in the Bernardo Quintana Boulevard. 


Government Palace: it is an impressive building that ended up in New Spain in 1770. The work was ordered by the mayor Martin Jose de la Rocha and Lans, who also use it as home and office, made it the seat of the royal prisons. The palace is considered the cradle of Mexican independence movement, because in their classrooms were developed so-called "literary gatherings", a euphemism used to cover plans that are plotting to release there, under the protection of Josefa Ortiz de Dominguez, wife of Mayor Michael Dominguez, a woman of progressive ideas, contrary to maintaining the Spanish yoke. The plot was discovered by the husband of the courageous lady, who, at the price of his own safety, "warned his colleagues of the danger hanging over them, preventing the capture of the group members. As a result of this action, Father Miguel Hidalgo made the Grito de Dolores, an event that marked the beginning of the struggle for independence (15 September 1810). In the bizarre attitude of Dona Josefa, the palace would be "renamed" by the people as the House of the magistrate. Today is the seat of state government and its auroral times retains its balconies and large windows.

It is located on Avenida 5 de Mayo, the corner of Calle Luis Pasteur, in the historic center of Queretaro.


Cathedral of Queretaro: unique, eclectic, because in its stone facade and volcanic rock quarry (a kind of light, porous volcanic rock) are mixed baroque and neoclassical detail, architectural styles that prevailed in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The Cathedral, built between 1786 and 1805, was blessed by Father Miguel Hidalgo, who on September 15, 1810 would become the pages of history, to start the Mexican independence movement with the famous Grito de Dolores. In 1921 the temple was promoted to cathedral by Pope Benedict XV, was consecrated in 1931.

It is located on the street of Francis I. Madero.


Theatre of the Republic: is neoclassical facade and features a beautiful balcony with Ionic columns, while inside oval galleries presents four levels. Built between 1845 and 1852 (opened on May 2) was originally named Iturbide Theatre in honor of one of the heroes of independence but the name would be changed in 1922.

Beyond the artistic presentations, where scenario has been developed momentous events in American history, as the War Council meeting which concluded the execution of Emperor Maximilian of Hapsburg in 1867 and the promulgation on February 5, 1917 , of the Mexican Constitution that is still applicable today. For this reason the room was declared a National Monument.

It is located on Benito Juarez Street, corner of Angela Peralta.


Railway Station: it was inaugurated in 1903 by President Porfirio Diaz. For his pro-French-style very fashionable in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and the use of pink stone on the walls, the resort is, without doubt, one of the most beautiful in Mexico. Built by an English company, the station is now home to countless shows and events.

It is situated between the Avenue of Heroes and Calle Cuauhtémoc Nacozari.


Hill of the Bells: This beautiful park with extensive landscaping and games was the scene of the showdown between the forces of the Republic and the Emperor Maximilian of Hapsburg (sent by Napoleon III), which occurred on May 15, 1867. The victory corresponded to the Republican forces, and Maximilian was taken prisoner. Later, this would be executed in the same place where the battle took place, an event that would mark the end of French interference in Mexico. During the celebrations for the centenary of the Republican victory (1967), Mexico's President Gustavo Diaz Ordaz, and the governor of Querétaro, Manuel Gonzalez de Cosio, opened at the summit of Cerro de las Campanas an impressive statue in honor of Benito Juárez and Garcia, a leader in the fight against the invading forces. A few meters away, the Imperial House of Austria built a small Gothic chapel in memory of Maximilian of Hapsburg. The name of the hill is explained by the existence of several stones to be hit with one another, make sounds similar to the ringing of a bell.

It is among the technological avenues and Hidalgo.

    Hidalgo Alameda: a late eighteenth century, the Viceroy Branciforte gave the nod to a work of great ornamental beauty, with large gardens, beautiful hiking trails and even an artificial lake that would change the urban face of Queretaro. The work became a pleasant reality, but in 1867, a military conflict between the republics and imperialist forces (French), causing severe damage at the site, which tried to be filler in 1897, but not in the original design Lesnar to the mall a monument in honor of Father Miguel Hidalgo, the father of independence. A century later (1986-1988), state government authorities opened a new restaurant, but this time with the intention of rescuing primitive lines. The result was successful. The mall recovered its shine, becoming an attractive public space.

It is located between the avenues Zaragoza, Corregidor and Constituent.



Who is online?

We have 2 guests online

Administrated by CICATA Querétaro IPN